With running a practice, raising a newborn and toddler, maintaining an exercise schedule, and all the other demands of daily life, sometimes making sure a healthy dinner is on the table at night can fall through the cracks for Lea and me.
Does this sound familiar to you and your life?
We get it!
You can always try to prepare, but let’s face it, sometimes life will out-pace you and you will be left with the question of what to feed yourself or your family after a long day. Therefore, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite quick at-home meals and healthy local restaurants to help you when you find yourself in a bind��� instead of resorting to unhealthy take-out, mixing bowls full of cereal, or microwave popcorn.
It’s important to stress that your body has 4 essential requirements it needs to function at its best: Fuel requirements, Movement requirements, Thought requirements, and most importantly, Communication requirements of your body and brain. When one of these requirements is lacking or missing, your entire health suffers, and you live in a survival mode rather than a growth mode. But, when all are raised at the same time for a period of time, the natural result is greater health and overall function!
It’s simple! You’re like a plant which requires sunlight, nutrients, water, and non-rocky soil to perform at its potential. Without it, a tree may never grow past a sapling. With it, a mighty oak!
So, to be certain you’re feeding your body the raw materials it needs to thrive, we recommend these simple meals when you find yourself in a bind.
1. Veggie chicken stir-fry:
– Sliced chicken breast (Saut��ed in coconut oil)
– Throw in whatever veggies are on hand (green beans, broccoli, tomatoes,
�� zucchini, carrots, celery��� be creative!)
– Dr. Rob’s Stir-fry sauce:
– 4 Tbsp Coconut Amino’s (perfect substitute for soy sauce)
– 1 Tbsp raw honey
– 2 Tbsp almond butter
– 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Blend Together then add:
– 1 tsp minced ginger
– 1 tsp minced garlic
– Hand full of cashews
2. Frittata w/ sweet potato Slices:
Simple and Delicious!
Prepare Sweet Potato Slices:
1. Slice sweet potatoes
2. Saut�� over coconut oil
3. Add a pinch of sea salt
4. Cinnamon to taste
1. Saut�� a mix of veggies (literally whatever you have on hand in coconut or avocado oil)
2. Toss whisked eggs over and enjoy!
3. Clean the fridge salad:��
– Pile on the organic veggies, avocado, hardboiled eggs, bacon, oranges or strawberries
– If organic meats, poultry, or fish are available – toss in
– Top it off with balsamic and olive oil dressing or whisk red wine vinegar, olive oil, and yellow mustard!
– Be creative with this one – if it’s a veggie, fruit, protein, nut, seed, etc., it’s fair game!
When you just don’t feel like cooking, don’t worry, here are a few of our favorite local healthy restaurants:��
��1. Sweet Green (Chestnut Hill)
Literally our favorite healthy food fast eatery. Can’t go wrong with anything on the menu.
��2. Life Alive (Cambridge)
�� �� �� �� �� �� I recommend literally the entire salad and wrap menu! Bon Appetite!
��3. Eat with Jack O’Neill (West Roxbury)
�� �� �� �� �� �� Check out the Grass-Fed Burger, Organic Lamb Burger, or Superfood Salad
My Quick Tips to avoid devouring that chocolate bar before dinner is ready…
- Quick Smoothie:
- Blend almond/coconut milk, fresh or frozen organic fruit, and a handful of kale or spinach
- Enjoy a spoonful of almond butter and honey
- Grab a handful of nuts
- Essentially, look for protein instead of sugary carbs!